Ok, you just booked your session, congratulations! Now we start figuring out how on earth we're going to prepare for the big day.
- Pick clothes that have bold, solid colors. Avoid busy fabric patterns that distract the eye (definitely leave the Hawaiian shirts at home!)
- Bring an undershirt or wear a tank top underneath your outfit so you can comfortably switch shirts outdoors
- Avoid large logos; small logos are ok, like those little crocodiles on polo shirts
- Avoid black and white, unless you're planning to layer it under something else like a scarf or jacket. Black leather jackets are ok!
- Speaking of which, during your shoot think in layers; we can get more 'looks' in the same amount of time by just being creative with the way we layer clothing
- Focus on shirts, we might include the top of your pants in some 3/4s shots, but the main focus in our photos will be on the tops.
- Don't worry a thing about shoes! In these shots we will most likely not see your footwear.
- Above all make sure you feel comfortable in what you're wearing! That's the most important piece in the puzzle!
For most people, scheduling a headshot session isn’t their highest priority and is something that just needs to be checked off a to-do list.
For businesses, it’s even worse… the poor person in charge of coordinating headshots probably has a million things on her plate and dealing with coordinating a “picture day” seems like a time-suck of a project.
But… it doesn’t have to be that way!
The two places where we see the biggest headshot bottlenecks, for both companies and individuals, are in the booking and scheduling process and in the selection and image delivery. At StudioCraft, we have a solution to both of those problems that make the whole process simple.
- This takes two forms:
- For Individuals: Most individuals would rather have a root canal than play phone tag with a photographer (and most photographers are notoriously terrible about responding to phone calls) just to go back and forth on pricing, getting all the information they need about their headshot session, and ultimately coordinating calendars. Our answer to this is simple, we give you all the information you need about your headshot session upfront on the website, including pricing and an online booking calendar and payment system. It’s so easy that 90% of our headshot customers don’t even call or email before scheduling an appointment! Once we receive your booking request we reach out to you with any questions or additional information we need to make sure your session runs as smoothly as possible.
- For Businesses: Businesses have a slightly different problem. Not only do they need to coordinate the date and time for the photographer to come, but they also need to coordinate when the staff is going to be photographed. Once again, StudioCraft is here to make your life easier. Once you have expressed interest in hiring us for your company’s headshots, we reach out to you to gather all revenant information for the day that works best for your team. We can even provide a system where staff can schedule their own timeslots. It doesn’t get much easier than that, or does it? Anyone who has ever scheduled one of these sessions knows that there are always going to be stragglers who can’t make it on the days that they photographer will be there. In those cases, the employee can simply book a session at our studio and we’ll take good care of them.
- This is actually the thing that stresses people out more than anything. Which photo do I pick? How can I narrow them down? They all sort of look the same! Unlike some photographers that leave you with a gallery of tens or hundreds of photos to choose from after the headshot session, we work with you collaboratively to identify what you like and don’t like so that we can make changes along the way and you can walk away knowing exactly which portrait you love. This allows us to retouch the photo and deliver it to you without any delays! For businesses, the process is the same. Each person picks his or her favorite photo on the spot, eliminating the weeks of delays and chasing people down to pick their photos from a gallery. This process literally saves companies weeks and months of time!
HOW TO SELECT YOUR IMAGE FOR RETOUCHING
Depending on how your headshot session was booked, the selection of the final image may be up to you or someone from your company. If you’re making the selection, here are some tips to consider:
- When you are viewing your images don’t focus on any flyaway hairs, lint or blemishes. Those are easily fixed when you have a retouching package.
- If you are having a hard time deciding on a photo we recommend getting a second opinion from your significant other or a trusted coworker.
Why you need a remarkable headshot
THE NEED TO LOOK PROFESSIONAL
We can all agree that persuading, convincing and influencing others to engage with our products or services is crucial to our professional success. These actions/activities take a up a significant portion of our work day whether as an entrepreneur, business manager or creative professional.
After all this work a lot of professionals end up with the same feeling, that they are being ignored, looked past and not taken seriously.
For better or worse, today's workforce is becoming less corporate and more entrepreneurial resulting in a culture where business leaders need to be seen to be understood. More business transactions are now directly between individuals and their customers. In the past only celebrities were concerned with their media perception but now thanks to social platforms we are all in the media spotlight trying to build a name for ourselves and promote our businesses.
WHY IT MATTERS
Many professionals are so focused on building their products or services they don’t recognise the importance of how they themselves are being perceived and the role perception plays in the sales process. To stand out from the crowd to promote your product/service you first need to send a strong message that you are competent and trustworthy, and this starts with your headshot. People are simply drawn to work with confident, approachable people. The power of a professional headshot is that it inspires this trust at the first point of contact a person has with you, whether in online profiles or media appearances.
IT’S HUMAN NATURE
We know how nerve-raking it can be for some to get a professional portrait taken. We get self conscious and think we aren’t ‘photogenic’. We want to be judged on our internal capabilities, intelligence and talents but as humans we initially judge based on the external appearance. When you invest in your image, your perception in the media starts working for you and your team, allowing you to promote your business with confidence, leading to new opportunities.
RESEARCH PROVES IT
Headshots are a tool for persuasive communication. Thanks to this 600 person Cornell Research Study we know that first impressions based on online media profiles transfer into real world relationships. Positive impressions created by a great headshot can positively persuade someone trying to make a connection with you in person. This finding was also supported by the worlds foremost network of professionals; according to LinkedIn research, you’re 14 times more likely to engage with someone with a good headshot.
IF NOT YOU, THEN SOMEONE ELSE
If customers aren't seeing you as the trusted authority in your industry, they’ll look past you to somebody else who looks the part. Customers are distracted and fickle and don’t have the time to do detailed research about your qualifications. Once you look like a professional in their mind, you start out ahead. Both brands and businesspersons win in the marketplace by first looking the part. Why? Because nobody will trust you are the best at what you do until you look like it.